Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Karyotypical



The above image is of my sons Karyotype because of Down Syndrome Awareness month I want to explain what this means. A karyotype is the number and appearance of chromosomes in the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell. The term is also used for the complete set of chromosomes in a species, or an individual organism. Notice Blake's 21'st Chromosome? There is an extra copy, which is the marker for Trisomy21 or Down Syndrome.


Karyotypes describe the number of chromosomes, and what they look like under a light microscope. Attention is paid to their length, the position of the centromeres, banding pattern, any differences between the sex chromosomes, and any other physical characteristics. Thankfully with Down Syndrome More IS MORE and not less. Someone who has Down Syndrome is not 'less than' but from what I have learned in the last 3 years they are a whole lot more than anyone anticipates or can be prepared for. When you have a child with special needs they are constantly compared with what is 'typical' and many discussions about people with Down Syndrome are stereotypical. I called this post Karyotypical because my son's Karyotype is but one small picture of who he is.
My son Blake is MUCH more than his diagnosis. He is a little brother,  grandson, cousin, nephew and a friend. He is also a rough-n-tuble boy, curious, stubborn (a trait that is my personal belief to be due to his parents - not his chromosomes), fun, silly, funny and incredibly loving.

I am seriously excited to see what his likes and dislikes are as he grows and to hear his dreams and hopes.
He loves cleaning and helping around his classroom and house.

Everyday my life is enriched by this boy. I become a better person and mother because of him. He has made me slow down and enjoy life more, count my blessings and always see the silver lining that trust me is ALWAYS there for each of us,

I will be posting a lot more this month here and via other websites.

How will you celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month?

No comments:

Post a Comment