Tuesday, January 8, 2013

From Ink to Icon

Costume Designer William Travilla

It is no secret how much I love fashion. The fabrics, adornments, tailoring and ultimately how it transforms you. One of my only 'regrets' in this life is that I chose to study for a degree in Psychology instead of  studying Fashion Design. I however, never say never and as I approach my 34th birthday I am optimistic that I may take a bow at the end of a runway before the end of my journey. Don't count me out just yet! Fashion has been a passion of mine since I was 9 years old when I used to sneak and look through my older sisters Vogue magazines.  Anyway, the designer (high fashion or costume) has always fascinated me. Their process, how a vision or idea becomes a physical reality that a woman can wear.

I was thinking about iconic pieces and how they came to be from ink to iconic pop culture status.  Here is a great example. Costume designer William Travilla had a long and successful career in Hollywood. He supplied wardrobe for 8 of Marilyn Monroe's films and designed some of her most iconic dresses.

"Gentlemen Prefer Blonde's"  - 1953

From INK:

To Icon:

Ink:

 Icon:

Ink:

Icon:

Ink:

Icon:

 7 Year Itch Dress (1955)
Ink:

ICON:


Marilyn with Travilla for a fitting

What are your FAV Ink to Icon fashion moments? More of mine to come ...

1 comment: