Saturday, August 11, 2012

Dita's Dresses: Her Capsule Collection


Dita Von Teese is hands down one of my living Style Icons. I love how she mixes fashion's past and future, makes her own style rules and care's not what mainstream trend everyone is buzzing about.

She has designed and released a Capsule Collection (MUSE) of select Vintage inspired items, sold exclusively at DECADES. (World Wide Shipping)


For those of you who are unaware in the fashion industry a "capsule collection" is defined as a mini-collection consisting of a few important representative items from the designer.

The collection is composed of 6 pieces, predominantly classic black, one pop of red and a printed piece. Dita used her own closet as her Muse for creating this collection.



This is a classic case of QUALITY vs QUANTITY.

Dita addressed the issue of her quality clothing via her Facebook: "I've launched several brands recently, and I've had to make a lot of choices that weren't always black & white. It is true that my dress collection is a little bit more expensive, and that is because I wanted the linings to be silk and I wanted all the details to be up to par with my vintage pieces with things like embroidered grosgrain waistbands, silk velvet and all the things that make a differ
ence upon close inspection. Unfortunately, those details come with a higher cost to make, especially in this era of manufacturing. I would like to offer a more affordable line too, and perhaps I will, but this first one is a very limited edition collection based on my vintage wardrobe treasures. This line is for those that see the benefit of obtaining one forever piece rather than a bunch of clothes that go unworn. This is one of the lessons I have personally learned over the years, so I decided this would be my first approach. I also felt that in light of my perfume, makeup and lingerie collections being in the more accessible price range, that this was the right approach for this first clothing collection. Lastly, of course no matter what the price point is, someone is going to be unhappy with it. So thank you for understanding my choices. I would love nothing more than to wave a magic wand and offer you full blown haute couture for free. That would be a neat trick, no?"


The price points range from $595-$895 but it is all a matter of perspective.  For quality, high end clothing this is not a lot to ask. If you are looking for investment pieces that you can style a million ways or hang onto for years then this collection is for you.  If you want clothing you trend and trash, shop at Forever 21. You could also meet in the middle and purchase authentic Vintage pieces for a price point slightly lower than Dita's.  It is also about priority. I have seen women who shop at Old Navy and never really update their wardrobe and have no problem throwing down $1600+ for a luxury handbag.

The most amazing part of fashion is you have the opportunity to purchase and style according to your budget, imagination, creativity and style. It is all up to you!

MY FAV pieces from the collection


Images & Commentary from Dita's Website)

The Follow Me Dress
"This is designed after a dress from the 1950s that I have worn over and over for about eleven years, and I always get compliments on it. It is timeless and always chic, which makes it a perfect wardrobe staple. I like to wear it with different vintage brooches from my collection on the shoulder. I have worn this dress over the years on red carpets, to events, parties and for many a romantic rendezvous. We remade this dress with a beautiful silk lining and silk chiffon, and I'm especially happy to have an improved version of the original dress in my wardrobe!"

The VIP Coat
"I've always said that the key to achieving glamour on the go is to have a very chic coat. I collect coats from the 1950s, because the hourglass fit and flare silhouette is so flattering. I wanted to bring this shape to the classic black trench coat, and this one has wonderful details like a hidden pocket, a tulle lining for a bit of volume, and the lovely grosgrain waist ribbon, which is a tribute to vintage couture. I might add that one of my favorite tools of seduction is a sexy coat, which I wear with nothing but black stockings and lingerie underneath!"


What are your FAV Pieces? Are you going to shop Dita's Collection?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE the Showcase dress! Perfect LBD right? And the flower print dress is beyond gorgeous! Had I the funds, they'd be mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good posting about Dita's Dresses: Her Capsule Collection

    ReplyDelete