Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Exploring Carnism

I have been a Vegetarian for almost 5 years and soon to be a full VEGAN and I find myself over and over again defending or justifying my choice to not consume meat to friends, family and strangers. Today I had a carnivorous friend tell me that she took the time to watch "Meet your Meat", "If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls" (Narrated by Paul McCartney) and "Meat is Not Green". She is now questioning her meat eating and never realized or made the connection that what was on her plate is brutally treated and then slaughtered for "her taste buds".

Many meat eaters sit at home and chow down on a steak while they pet their cats, or spend hundreds of dollars a month on their dogs (food, grooming, etc) and eat chicken. I was once that person and now feel ashamed and a little daft that I did not make the connection.

I wanted to share an interesting theory as to why/how we as humans can make that disconnect (besides rationalizing unhealthy behaviour). Melanie Joy (PhD) explains "Carnism" in this short video clip.

It is the psychological phenomenon behind why people eat certain animals and not others.

Check out Dr. Joy's Book "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows" if you want to explore the subject in greater depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment