Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Style Maven Series: Kathy Ireland


Kathy Ireland is known to many as the face (and body) of Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition and model through the decade of the 1980's. To me she is the ultimate MOMpreneur and Mogul.


She started her company, Kathy Ireland Worldwide in 1993 with a line of socks by Moretz. Now Ireland, who is the CEO, sells complete lines of clothing, home furnishings, books, exercise videos, flooring, lighting, and window treatments that are all meant to be stylish yet affordable for working women and mothers. Collaborating with other corporate partners, Ireland's $1.4 billion dollar (in annual gross sales) label offers 15,000 different products. Visit www.kathyireland.com




Most recently she has added a bridal collection of gowns and a line of hair extensions to her list. Her motto/vision: "finding solutions for families, especially busy moms.”™




Kathy is a married mother of 3 children and is one of the most generous and kind celebrities. She uses her time, money and resources to genuinely help others. This video is but a fraction of what she does and who she helps via her philanthropic efforts.




I had the chance to ask Kathy my Style Maven Questions:

LISA: Can you describe your personal Style aesthetic AND attitude about fashion?

KATHY: Because in the last century, I worked as a model, my fashion aesthetic is eclectic. My passion for fashion comes from a desire to serve. So many women feel left out of the fashion world. My goal is to make fashion inclusive. Beauty lives in every shape, size, color and age. Lets celebrate that truth! When I designed my very first collection, there was a battle to include products for women to who larger in size. That made me furious. Why should choices be limited? There is no shame in weight gain. When my weight is higher than I wanted to be… my fashion style doesn’t’ change. I always support body cooperative dressing. I love fabrics that flatter and forgive. I embrace my body and it’s curves. They are God given. I love color. I wear beige, but it’s not my passion. If the outfit is beige… accessorize with bold jewelry, tops of color from hand bag to shoes and scarf! Whatever your size or shape, please, don’t be afraid of color. Colors make us radiant. Don’t ever try to use fashion to make yourself disappear. Love your body as it is and never hide, be proud of who you are. That doesn’t mean, we can’t always be healthier and make progress… but, love yourself as you are, starting now.


LISA: What are the key components / pieces in your closet?

KATHY: Jeans with a touch of lycra… a blazer, a simple white dress, a vintage sweater coat and colorful blouses that will take me anywhere at any time. I love to layer. Sometimes I’ll wear a blouse over a dress to give it a jacket feel. Jewelry, handbags and shoes change everything. I have some cherished clothing and accessories that are vintage and precious. A boa, a 1920’s dress that makes me feel as though I just walked out of a George Hurrell portrait and again, our collection of jewelry and hand bags which freshened everything, and I always have pairs and pairs of socks. In boots, socks are so comfortable!


LISA: How do you feel about Vintage Clothing and Accessories?

KATHY: You already know I love vintage. I adore it! We cannot have an appreciation for that which is new, without paying respect to vintage. Timeless. Classic. Inspiring. Forever. Those are the adjectives that vintage congers up for me. You will always find vintage inspiration in everything I design.



LISA: What are your favorite Vintage pieces (Clothing and/or Accessories)? Do you only wear designer vintage?

KATHY: I wear vintage wherever I find it. I love mixing it with things that are new. As I said at the beginning, my fashion style is eclectic. Long live vintage and hopefully our designs today will become vintage tomorrow. Thank you so much for walking with me on twitter and allowing me to participate in your glorious blog.


LISA: What are you wearing this fall? Tell our readers the key elements for your Fall/Winter wardrobe .

KATHY: Knit dresses, long sweaters, two belted cashmere coats, linen shirt and a few great pairs of jeans. I also love some short vintage, print dresses and our entire new collection of social occasion dresses from kathy ireland Weddings by 2be My favorite colors this season include… purple, olive green, beige, camel and jewelry to add that special sparkle.


Kathy also pulled Vintage items from her personal collection and supplied Evolution Revolution with these exclusive photographs. She is VERY Vintage Glam and reminds me of the silver screen siren Ava Gardner --



KATHY (Click on images to enlarge):










Here are some of Kathy's Looks:






Kathy you inspire MOMpreneurs and women worldwide with your dedication, hard work, style and kindness ~ A Mother, a Mogul and a MAVEN.


EVOLUTION VINTAGE'S PICKS FOR KATHY:









15 comments:

  1. "She is VERY Vintage Glam and reminds me of the silver screen siren Ava Gardner" I could not agree more. Thank you for doing this piece on an amazing person who is a mentor to so many...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy erradia glamur! es una persona sencilla y la cual a la vez es muy elegante. Se ve espectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kathy is a wonderful person i love learning more about her designs and how she helps real people. thanks for sharing, betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy is a woman for all seasons. Like an Audrey Hepburn or Elizabeth Taylor, Kathy brings new glam and elegance to her designs. brava!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog featuring Kathy Ireland and all that she is doing. I appreciated that not only did you talk about her sense of fashion -- specifically Kathy's penchant for vintage fashion, you also talked about the causes she gives her time and support to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love your blog. Thank you for posting the article on Kathy Ireland. As a "new" young mom, I can honestly say that Kathy is a true inspiration to me. She is what I aspire to be as I continue my journey in life and everything that comes my way!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy Ireland has style and grace! What a great article showing her many looks that she pulls of flawlessly in every picture! Kathy is so glamorous, a true Hollywood Legend! In every since of the word!

    Kathy you Rock!

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Rapozo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy Ireland has style and grace! What a great article showing her many looks that she pulls of flawlessly in every picture! Kathy is so glamorous, a true Hollywood Legend! In every since of the word!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Kathy's style, not just in fashion but in life. She is a beautiful woman inside and out. Thank you for posting this story on Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa, I've been reading your blogs and postings and you are seriously incredible.
    An awesome blog and great story you captured here on Kathy Ireland. What an unbelievable person that Kathy is. I was not aware she was ALL that involved in Philanthropic work. Wow! I so much more respect her. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and for taking the time to read my BLOG. My intention with this blog is to inspire others and feature women & men who have contributed (and continue to) and make a difference in this world in their own unique ways. Fashion is fabulous but kindness, truth and honesty are things that never go out of style!!

    I hope you all will follow my BLOG and become readers .. join the Evolution Revolution XO

    Happy Holidays to each of you and your families ~ May all your dreams come true in 2011 and beyond.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Q and A with Kathy Ireland! Thank you for writing such a fantastic Blog! I admire Kathy Ireland as a Mom first, and an incredible businesswoman second. Kathy's style, grace, pose, kindness and huge heart represents this decades Grace Kelly to me. Her integrity, generousity, devotion, and passion flows out in all of her designs. Kathy's style is pure elegance

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, you are such an inspiration to all of us busy moms, thank you for all your hard work and dedication. Lisa, I just love your fashion Blog.
    Thank you for making it all happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your comments Fullunar and Michelle! xo

    Im glad you both liked the feature and hope you will follow the blog and keep reading.

    Happy Holidays!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome blog about Kathy Ireland! She is amazing to me and I'm thrilled that you are aware and celebrating her style and achievements too! Kathy's heart shines through whenever I see her.

    ReplyDelete