Sunday, December 5, 2010

Style Maven Series: Dita Von Teese


If I could use only 2 words to describe Dita Von Teese they would be Timeless and GLAMOUR. To me Miss Dita is like a live avante guard runway show, a Hollywood silver screen film in Technicolor and a Swarovski crystal swathed enduring piece of artwork. I have to say that she is the ULTIMATE vintage style maven, a fashion icon and a true style inspiration for me. I love the bold colors, the hats, the accessories and the mixing of the vintage with the contemporary. Her display of fashion forwardness by highlighting and paying homage to fashions past is second to none. She is one of the only people who can pull of a head-to-toe vintage look to any event, with the hair, makeup AND accessories.

3 things you may not know about Dita:

*She is a natural blond

*Given name at birth: Heather Sweet

*Her Christmas Tree: “I have a pink foil tree that has chandelier pieces. It’s not bubblegum pink, but real Victorian, shiny pink. I like pink lights—I think it’s really romantic and flattering.” (www.fashionmagazine.com)


She is as famous for her Burlesque numbers as she is for her fashion. She is a fashion designers dream and a darling at several of the world’s most famous fashion houses ~ Jean Paul Gaultier, Elie Saab, Christian Laboutin, Dior, Louis Vuitton and Swarovski. She is the extraordinary showgirl on and off the red carpet. Her costumes are like a jewel encrusted dream. Dita has been compared to the Burlesque strip-teaser Gypsy Rose Lee but I think that Dita is in a class all her own.


(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE)

Her world is not just garter belts and feathers; she is a self styled, self created fashion icon and brand. She brought her style to contemporary lingerie, with Wonderbra by Dita Von Teese. This vintage-inspired, limited edition lingerie collection for Wonderbra was a bestseller, and her 2nd season, the "Party Edition," was launched in 2009 all over Europe. Dita also has her own collection of full-fashioned seamed stockings with Secrets in Lace, which are available through their catalog and her website. She has teamed up with Perrier mineral water and limited edition bottles and cans with Dita’s images are now available.

She is the face of Cointreau with a signature drink: Cointreau Teese

1 1/2 oz. Cointreau
3/4 oz. Apple juice
1/2 oz. Violet syrup
1/2 oz. Lemon juice
Ginger
1 Violet

Preparation
Combine all ingredients and frost ginger around the rim of the glass. Garnish with a violet.






You can take a piece of Dita home with her many AMAZING products: Clothing, books, cosmetics, lingerie, fragrance, and MORE. Visit her BOUTIQUE


I had a chance to ask the princess of the pasties my style maven questions.

LISAG: Can you describe your personal Style aesthetic AND attitude about fashion

DITA: I admire people that have a personal sense of style that does not falter according to the trends, and I especially love those that dare to be different and take risks! Some of my personal icons are Isabella Blow, Anna Piaggi, Chantal Thomass and Marlene Dietrich.


LISAG: What are the key components / pieces in your closet?

DITA: Shapely black dresses with perfect tailoring, classic shapes, with the perfect amount of cleavage and the right hemline. I like to style these dresses with vintage jewelry, gloves and hats. A beautiful coat is also essential!


LISAG: How do you feel about Vintage Clothing and Accessories?

DITA: Most of my wardrobe is vintage! I began dressing in vintage when I was a teenager because I was never able to afford designer clothes. I would see similarities between looks I saw in magazines from designers like Vivienne Westwood, and vintage 1940's suits and dresses. I would seek out vintage bullet bras to get the look of Jean-Paul Gaultier. My aim was to get the look for less by scouring flea markets and vintage stores, and that is how my love affair with vintage style began!

LISAG: What are your favorite Vintage pieces (Clothing and/or Accessories)? Do you only wear designer vintage?

DITA: I wear what I like, regardless of the value. I do own some spectacular vintage designer pieces, like a 1954 Dior Paris Haute Couture suit which is labeled with the season and year, and it's in a famous book about Dior. But the majority of my collection is comprised of no-name dresses, or lesser-known designers. It's all about how you wear it, not how expensive it is.

LISAG: What are you wearing this fall/winter? Tell our readers the key elements for your Fall/Winter wardrobe


DITA: Wearing a fabulous coat is always my favorite thing about the fall and winter. I love bringing out my coats! I don't always have a new one every year, but when you invest in a great style, it doesn't matter. A great coat is THE key to looking chic in the winter! This year I am wearing a fit and flare black Dior, a 1950's Lilli Ann Princess coat, and my favorite, a Dior trench coat with strict shoulders that is dripping in black bugle beads at the hemline. The way I see it, if I can't wear bugle beads in the daytime, what good is it being a showgirl anyway?!?

You are a show girl supreme Dita! 

Here are some of my favorite looks:

(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE)









You have personally inspired me Dita to even push my own fashion boundaries even further than I normally do. I LOVE cage veiling even more now!! XO



EVOLUTION VINTAGE'S PICKS FOR DITA:








13 comments:

  1. I love this interview. How did you get that lined up? I want to do one for a school paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You :) I contacted her through her web site. You can also try to get her to reply via Twitter. She often replied to her fans there! Thanks for reading and following XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for this interview! You asked some insightful questions and of course, Dita answered as eloquently as ever. Well done! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are VERY welcome Sarah! I LOVE Dita's Style! xo Thank you for taking the time to read and comment XO

    ReplyDelete