Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gianni Versace ~ Fashion ICON



December 2 would have marked the 64th birthday for the Italian born fashion designer Gianni Versace. Since he was violently and senselessly taken from us in 1997 the fashion world has never been the same. I chose to start my tribute series on the day he was born in honor of the amazingly creative life he shared with all of us.

To me there is no possible way to sum up Gianni Versace in one blog or an article. He has been my favourite designer since I was a little girl secretly thumbing through my older sisters VOGUE collection and taping Fashion Television segments onto VHS. Imagine my wonderment at the age of 9 and 10 at the colorful images presented in the ad campaigns, the over the top, star studded runway shows packed with the most beautiful faces in the world. Then there is the clothes themselves.




Words alone can not convey the impact the world of Gainni Versace has had on me creatively. He was my very first "Hero" or "Icon". Looking back I'm sure my parents and friends found it odd for a 10 year old girl to idolize a fashion designer but he was my version of a superhero. My love affair with fashion can be attributed to Gianni Versace. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him in person but I will do my best in this blog seires in the coming weeks to take you on a journey that started 64years ago today in a small town in Reggio, Calabria, Italy in 1946 all the way to the steps of his Miami mansion in 1997.




We will take a look at each creative facet and season of his career, his family & personal life as well as the man himself.


With Younger sister Donatella and older brother Santo


He pushed boundaries.

He loved beauty.

He designed dreams.

Enjoy the colourful ride.


LisaG
XO

2 comments:

  1. this is such a heartfelt post, and a wonderful way to show homage to an amazing fashion pioneer. for me, it would be a dream come true if I ever had a chance to grace my body with one of his designs. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! It would be a dream come true for me too. I have the shoes ~ but a dress would be fabulous. One from the 1990's ;) Stay tuned for the rest of the series and THANK YOU for reading & the comment XOXOX

    ReplyDelete